This collection consists of 1001 ledgers and journals from the Lawrence County courthouse at Powhatan. They include records created at Powhatan and at all previous courthouses in the county.
Lawrence County was created by the Missouri Territorial Legislature on January 15, 1815. In time, the county was subdivided to include part or all of more than 40 counties in Arkansas and Missouri. The county had several county seats over the years, moving from Davidsonville to Jackson to Smithville to Clover Bend then on to Powhatan. In the late 1800s, while Powhatan was still county seat, a second seat was established to serve residents who lived on the east side of Black River. This continued until the Powhatan courthouse was abandoned in 1966, leaving Walnut Ridge as the sole county seat. When the courthouse in Powhatan was abandoned, many of the records were left behind. In time, those records were given over to the Lawrence County Historical Society who, in 2010, donated the records to the Arkansas History Commission (now State Archives) to be housed at the newly-created Northeast Arkansas Regional Archives. This collection of ledger books was part of that larger donation of records.
Document; 8.5" x 11"
Lawrence County (Ark.)
Lawrence County (Ark.) records, MSNE.0038
Arkansas State Archives
Northeast Arkansas Regional Archives
Lawrence County (Ark.) records, Northeast Arkansas Regional Archives, Powhatan, Arkansas.
United States History