Creator

Ben F. Allen

Date Original

1909

Description

Printed map of Heber Springs in Cleburne County, Arkansas.The map shows streets, neighborhoods and additions. In the bottom right corner are notes about the area from county records. It lists the April 1908 population as 1,500.

Biographical/Historical Note

Located in north-central Arkansas in Cleburne County, Heber Springs was established in 1882 and is the county seat. Cleburne County is Arkansas's youngest county. Originally named Sugar Loaf Springs, Heber Springs owes its existence to the Sugar Loaf Springs Land Company. The Sugar Loaf Springs Land Company was founded by Max Frauenthal, a native of Bavaria. He sold shares in the company to ten local men with the intention of creating a town. When the town applied for a post office, the U.S. Postal Service rejected the name. They changed the name to Heber Springs in honor of Dr. Heber Jones, whose father had been an early owner of land there.

Physical Description

Map, 11" x 14"

Contributor

Heber Improvement Company; Sugar Loaf Springs Co., J.S. Wilson, J.R.B. Moore, J.H. Slaten, H.L. King, R.R. Case, M.E. Vinson, G.W. Reed, A.E. Martin, W.H. Horton, Mrs. Sallie Frauenthal, O.D. Dickerson, Moses Sandage, Ed Ausley, N.E. Hazlwood, E.G. Butler, A.J. Gardner, J.E. Dawley, H.F. Fix, W.L. Thompson, G.W. Edmonson, Fannie C. Edmonson

Geographical Area

Heber Springs, Cleburne County, (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

Map 2265

Resource Type

Map

Collection

Historic Maps Collection

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Map of Heber or Sugar Loaf and Additions, Map2265, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6901 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Preview

image preview

Share

COinS