Creator

Date Original

1840-2000

Description

This scrapbook contains clippings, publications, correspondence, photographs, church bulletins, maps, diaries, invitations, programs, organizational minute, and other materials collected by Lucille Blann West Swann, lifelong resident of Scott, Arkansas. The materials cover the history of the All Souls Community Church in Scott, and many aspects of community life in Scott from its founding until 2000.

Biographical/Historical Note

Scott, Arkansas, located in rich agricultural lands southeast of North Little Rock, Pulaski County, was founded circa 1840 by planters along Ashley Creek. Later, Ashley's Mills were built on the creek. Scott was the site of a cavalry skirmish on September 7, 1863, as federal forces approached Little Rock. The community's first post office, established in 1870, was called Ashley Mills and closed after four years. In 1873, Lonoke County was created from parts of Pulaski County. The new county line bisected Ashley Mills from north to south. In the 1880s, the Altheimer branch rail line of what later became the Cotton Belt Railroad, was built through the community. The Scott post office was established in 1889.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Scott, Pulaski County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

MG.00468

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Lucille Blann West Swann scrapbook, MG.00468

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Lucille Blann West Swann scrapbook, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS