Creator

Date Original

1866-1903

Description

This collection contains letters received by the Clerk of the United States District Court in Fort Smith, Arkansas between 1866 and 1903

Biographical/Historical Note

The United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas was created by an act of Congress approved March 3, 1851, to enforce federal laws in nine counties of Western Arkansas and in Indian Territory (present Oklahoma). Two additional Arkansas counties were added to the district in 1854. One judge presided over both the eastern and western Arkansas judicial districts until 1871 when Congress created a separate judgeship for the Western District and moved its headquarters from Van Buren to Fort Smith, Arkansas.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Arkansas; Indiana; Oklahoma

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.040.003

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Clerk of United States District Court, Fort Smith papers, SMC.040.003

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Clerk of United States District Court, Fort Smith papers, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS