Creator

Date Original

1936

Description

Printed map of the highway system in Arkansas County, Arkansas. The map shows towns, highways, rivers and water fowl refuge. In the upper right corner of the map, there is a legend for township plats showing sections.

Biographical/Historical Note

Located in the southeast corner of the state, Arkansas County was established in 1813. It was dual county seats in DeWitt and Stuttgart. Arkansas County is one of Arkansas's original counties. Originally called the State Highway Commission, the Arkansas State Highway Department was established by Act 302 in 1913 before there was an established state highway system. It also renamed the Department of State Lands to the Department of State Lands, Highways and Improvements. In 1923, Arkansas passed the Harrelson Road Law establishing a system of highways throughout the state. In 1929, the highway department was separated from the Department of State Lands and Improvements and put under the State Highway Commission.

Physical Description

Map, 21" x 17"

Contributor

Works Progress Administration

Geographical Area

Arkansas County, Arkansas

Language

English

Identifier

Map1789

Resource Type

Image

Collection

Map collection

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Map of Arkansas County Showing System of State Highways, Map1789, Map collection, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6901 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Preview

image preview

Additional Content

Maps collection inventory.

Share

COinS