Creator

Date Original

1910-1975

Description

This collection contains photocopies of student enrollment lists from 1910-1975. The files are arranged chronologically.

Biographical/Historical Note

St. Bartholomew Catholic Church and School was established about 1909 at Eighth and Gaines Streets in Little Rock, Arkansas, and was founded by Bishop John B. Morris of the Diocese of Little Rock. In 1910, Bishop Morris invited the Divine Word Missionaries, whose mission it was to specialize in the pastoral work of southern blacks, to be in charge of the new church. Reverend Joseph Hoflinger of the Divine Word was assigned to St. Bartholomew, followed by the Sister Servants of the Holy Ghost from Techny, Illinois. The Sister Servants replaced the Benedictine Sisters of Shoal Creek, Arkansas, who had conducted a fledgling school during the 1909-1910 school year. In 1911, the church and school moved from Eighth and Gaines Street to a new two-story brick building at Sixteenth and Marshall streets. The school was dedicated on September 17 and classes began on September 18. The school, which housed kindergarten through twelfth grades, flourished in the African American community for many years. The school closed in the spring of 1975.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Little Rock, Pulaski County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

MS.000142

Resource Type

Text

Collection

St. Bartholomew School enrollment lists, MS.000142

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

St. Bartholomew School enrollment lists, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS