Title

Baring Cross Baptist Church records, 1954-1962

Creator

Date Original

1954-1962

Description

This collection contains blueprints and instructions on the addition of a fire escape elevator to Baring Cross Baptist Church.

Biographical/Historical Note

On October 20, 1903, Baring Cross Baptist Church was established as a small congregation of 29 members dedicated to ministering to the railroad families in the area of the Baring Cross Bridge. The church grew and celebrated its fiftieth anniversary with 2,576 members in 1953. After several new buildings and additions, an elevator fire escape was built in the 1950s to ensure the safety of its members. In the 1970s, the church caught fire due to children playing with matches and suffered a total loss. The church recovered and built a new church building. As the church continued to grow, the membership voted to move the building to a new area. Seventeen acres of property were bought, and a new church building was constructed on its present-day site in Sherwood, Arkansas.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Pulaski County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.002.001a

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Baring Cross Baptist Church records, SMC.002.001a

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Baring Cross Baptist Church records, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS