Creator

Date Original

1861-1991

Description

This collection contains church records from 1861 to 1874, as well as correspondence and research notes.

Biographical/Historical Note

Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church was established at Clay, Arkansas, in White County between 1858 and 1859 near the Howell Cemetery. A small log building was constructed at the original site, but was replaced around 1890 when a frame building was erected in the small village of Clay in northern White County. The church was originally a member of the Union Baptist Association, but became a charter member of the Little Red River Baptist Association in the fall of 1861. The first pastor was W.S. Griffith. The first church clerk was J. S. Howell. Several years later, the church became a part of the Stevens Creek Baptist Association.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Clay, White County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

MS.000163

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church records, MS.000163

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church records, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS