Creator

Date Original

1876-1893

Description

This collection consists of post office records and school records. The post office records contain official and personal accounts, records of box rental income, and description of livestock. The school records contain attendance records and school accounts.

Biographical/Historical Note

Amity, Arkansas, is a small town in the northern part of Clark County, Arkansas. Its post office was established in 1848 north of the Caddo River. It moved to its present location shortly after the Civil War. Early in the 1870s, a new schoolhouse was built in Amity to replace the one operated before the war by Captain Robert S. Burke. One of its first teachers was Richard Melancthon Burke, son of Captain Burke, who operated the Amity Male and Female Academy from 1877 until his death in 1883. His successor was Samuel M. Samson, who arrived in Amity in 1888 and spent the next twenty years as head of the Amity High School, a private boarding school.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Amity, Clark County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

MG.00030

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Amity, Arkansas, school and post office records, MG.00030

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Amity, Arkansas, School and Post Office Records, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS