Creator

Date Original

1895-1903

Description

This collection contains one town council ledger for Baring Cross, Arkansas, dated 1896 to 1903, which includes town council meeting minutes and information on the founding of the town.

Biographical/Historical Note

Baring Cross was a small town in Pulaski County located west of Pike Avenue in what is now North Little Rock. The town took its name from the Baring Cross Bridge, which was the first steel bridge to cross the Arkansas River in 1873. The Baring Cross Bridge was named after the Baring and Company bankers of the United Kingdom, who financed the construction of the bridge in 1872-1873. The town consisted mostly of middle-class railroad workers because of its proximity to other railroad maintenance facilities and because of its growth out of the development of the Cairo and Fulton Railroad Company. Many of its citizens worked for the Iron Mountain Railroad Company. In 1896 forty-four residents successfully petitioned for municipal incorporation. Baring Cross elected its first mayor, Mord Roberts, on the same day. In 1903, Baring Cross (then part of Argenta) was annexed by North Little Rock.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Baring Cross, Pulaski County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.178.004

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Baring Cross [Pulaski County, Ark.] town council ledger, SMC.178.004

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Baring Cross [Pulaski County, Ark.] town council ledger, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS