Creator

Date Original

1932 February 17

Description

This collection contains letter from Dallas Herndon, Arkansas History Commission, to Judge G.W. Hendricks, Little Rock, Arkansas, on the History of the Arkansas Confederate Home.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Arkansas Confederate Home was established in 1890 by the Ex-Confederate Association of Arkansas to care for the needs of indigent Confederate soldiers and their widows. The nursing home occupied a remodeled residence near Sweet Home, south of Little Rock, on sixty acres of land purchased by the association. When the Arkansas Legislature established a $10,000 annual appropriation for the upkeep of the home in 1891, the Association deeded the property to the State. A new building was constructed in 1892 and by 1915 the institution housed 130 residents. But in the following years occupancy declined. In 1955, a new, smaller Confederate Home was built on the grounds of the Deaf and Blind schools in Little Rock. In 196, with only eight residents remaining, the Legislature voted to close the Home and transfer the remaining patients to nursing homes. The Home was closed in 1963 and the building use transferred to the Blind and Deaf schools.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Little Rock, Pulaski County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.096.001

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Confederate Home historical sketch, SMC.096.001

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Confederate Home historical sketch, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS