Creator

Date Original

1889

Description

This collection contains a map of coal lands in Sebastian County, Arkansas, and a letter from A.L. Raymond, Huntingtown Town Company, Huntington, Arkansas, to Edward Perry.

Biographical/Historical Note

Sebastian County was created on January 10, 1851. The Arkansas legislature named the county after William King Sebastian, a United State Senator. This county is on the western border of Arkansas, where the town of Greenwood, in the center of the county, served as county seat for the first three years. In 1854, Fort Smith became the county seat. Sebastian was divided into two judicial districts in 1861; both Greenwood and Fort Smith served as county seats thereafter.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Sebastian County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.092.011

Resource Type

Text

Collection

A.L. Raymond map of coal lands in Sebastian County, SMC.092.011

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

A.L. Raymond map of coal lands in Sebastian County, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS