Creator

Date Original

1894

Description

This collection contains a special announcement of the commercial department of the Hiram and Lydia Burrow College in Altus, Arkansas, from 1894.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1875, Isom L. Burrow moved to Altus and opened a school there which was called Central Collegiate Institute. Although it was a privately owned school, it was recognized and promoted by the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1882, the conferences adopted it as a training school and in 1884 purchased it. In 1886, Rev. A.C. Miller was elected president. He succeeded in moving the college to Conway in 1890, at which time it was renamed Hendrix College. The old property at Altus was turned over to Professor Burrow, who opened it as a private college under the name Hiram and Lydia College, after his parents. It survived until about 1906 when it was purchased by the town of Altus.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Altus, Franklin County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.091.034

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Hiram and Lydia Burrow College announcement, SMC.091.034

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Hiram and Lydia Burrow College announcement, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS