Creator

Date Original

1857 November 5

Description

This collection contains an address from E.H. English given at the laying of corner stone for St. John's College in Little Rock, Arkansas, on November 5, 1857.

Biographical/Historical Note

St. John's College was a school in Little Rock, Arkansas, created and run by the Arkansas Freemasons. It was the first institution of higher education chartered in Arkansas. Grand Master E.H. English announced the state Masons desire to open a college at the annual communication of the Grand Lodge of Arkansas in November 1850. The corner stone was laid by the Masonic fraternity on November 5, 1857, and classes began on October 10, 1859. Classes continued at the college until 1882.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Little Rock, Pulaski County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.091.027

Resource Type

Text

Collection

E.H. English address at St. John's College corner stone ceremony, SMC.091.027

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

E.H. English address at St. John's College corner stone ceremony, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS