Creator

Date Original

1838 June 2

Description

This collection contains a photocopy of the articles of agreement between Major R.B. Lee of Little Rock Arsenal and Stephen Cotter and M.R. Gibson to deliver timber to the arsenal dated June 2, 1838.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1836, the federal government requested the building of a military installation in Little Rock, Arkansas. Under Governor Sevier Conway and Major Robert B. Lee, a site was selected on the outskirts of the city for the Little Rock Arsenal. The site was a former racetrack used by a local jockey club. Timbers from Pine Bluff and stone from the Big Rock on the north side of the Arkansas River across from Little Rock were used for the building of the arsenal, as well as locally made bricks. In 1863, Federal troops entered Little Rock and occupied the arsenal for the duration of the Civil War. The installation at one time consisted of more than thirty buildings, but the Tower Building is the only building that was not sold or destroyed. The grounds of the arsenal were converted to a public park, first called City Park and renamed McArthur Park in 1942. The MacArthur Museum of Arkansas Military History opened in the Tower Building in May of 2001.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Little Rock, Pulaski County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.090.024

Resource Type

Text

Collection

R.B. Lee articles of agreement [photocopy], SMC.090.024

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

R.B. Lee articles of agreement [photocopy], Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS