Creator

Date Original

1924-1926

Description

This collection contains three indefinite furloughs for prisoners at the Arkansas State Penitentiary. Two of the furloughs were signed by Governor Thomas McRae and one was signed by Governor Thomas J. Terral. The prisoners furloughed include C.A. Gentry and Gus Remmel. The third prisoner's name is illegible.

Biographical/Historical Note

The first state penitentiary in Arkansas was built in 1839-1840 in Little Rock. It was located where the current state capitol building is now. In 1899, it was relocated to a site southwest of the Little Rock to make room for the new state capitol building. The new penitentiary was known as "The Walls." The Cummins State Prison Farm opened in Lincoln County in 1902 and the Tucker State Prison Farm opened in Jefferson County in 1916. "The Walls" closed in 1933, and the prisoners there were transferred to the two new facilities. The State Penitentiary Board operated until 1968, when Act 50 established the Arkansas Department of Correction. After that point, the State Penitentiary Board became the State Board of Correction, and began overseeing the ADC.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Arkansas

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.090.010

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Arkansas Prison indefinite furlough forms, SMC.090.010

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Arkansas Prison indefinite furlough forms, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS