Creator

Date Original

1885

Description

This collection contains material for the Arkansas School for the Blind.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Arkansas School for the Blind in Little Rock, Pulaski County, teaches blind and visually impaired students to become productive citizens. The enriched curriculum, covering birth through age three and pre-kindergarten through the twelfth grade also offers a home-like setting to meet all students’ needs. Arkansas School for the Blind was founded as the Institute for the Education of the Blind in 1859 by the Reverend Haucke, a blind Baptist minister. Otis Patten was the school’s first official superintendent. The campus was originally located in Arkadelphia, Clark County, but was moved to Little Rock in 1868, which made the school more accessible to students across the state. The first Little Rock campus was located at 1800 Center Street. The institute was renamed the Arkansas School for the Blind in 1877.

Scope and Contents

This collection contains material for the Arkansas School for the Blind.

Geographical Area

Little Rock, Pulaski County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.049.018

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Arkansas School for the Blind records, SMC.049.018

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Arkansas School for the Blind records, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Share

COinS