Creator

Date Original

1901

Description

This collection contains a certificate for the Arkansas and Oklahoma Railway to operate business in Missouri dated October 15, 1901.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Arkansas and Oklahoma Western Railroad (A&OW), based in Rogers (Benton County), was incorporated on June 25, 1907.Previously named the Rogers Southwestern, had twenty-one miles of track built between Rogers and Springtown (Benton County) by the Rogers Southwestern Railroad. The change in the corporate name reflected an intention to build to Siloam Springs (Benton County), as a connection to the Kansas City Southern Railway, and Pryor Creek, Oklahoma, as a connection to the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway. The A&OW also announced plans for a thirty-mile extension from Rogers to the health resort of Eureka Springs (Carroll County). The A&OW, assuming it had been built as planned, would have been 125 miles long. Rogers banker William R. Felker was the principal financial backer of the Rogers Southwestern and successor A&OW. The railroad served an apple-growing district located between Lowell (Benton County) and Highfill (Benton County), the railroad called itself “The Fruit Belt Line.”

Scope and Contents

This collection contains a certificate for the Arkansas and Oklahoma Railway to operate business in Missouri dated October 15, 1901.

Geographical Area

Arkansas; Missouri; Oklahoma

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.041.029

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Arkansas and Oklahoma Railroad Company certificate, SMC.041.029

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Arkansas and Oklahoma Railroad Company certificate, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Share

COinS