Creator

Date Original

1888

Description

This collection contains a letter dated January 6, 1888 from S.M. Stockslager, Washington D.C. to C.A. Eatman of Mountain Home, Arkansas describing definition of "left bank" and "right bank" in land purchase.

Biographical/Historical Note

In the early days of the Arkansas Territory, the Land Office was actually a part of the State Auditor’s Office. Known as the General Land Office, its duties were to administer the Federal Government’s programs moving public land into private ownership and record the transactions. The Commissioner of State Lands Office was officially created by Act 20 of 1868, namely, "An Act to Provide for the Appointment of a Commissioner of State Lands and Immigration" and became an elected office with the passage of Amendment 37 of the Arkansas Constitution in 1874. It is one of only five elected Land Commissioners in the United States along with Washington, South Dakota, Texas & New Mexico.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Mountain Home, Baxter County (Ark.); New York

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.041.017

Resource Type

Text

Collection

General Land Office letter, SMC.041.017

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

General Land Office letter, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Share

COinS