This collection contains a promissory note for E.D. Cook and J.D. Langford with the Arkansas and Oklahoma Railroad Company.
The Arkansas and Oklahoma Western Railroad (A&OW), based in Rogers (Benton County), was incorporated on June 25, 1907, with capital stock of $3,000,000. The standard gauge railroad, previously named the Rogers Southwestern, had twenty-one miles of track built between Rogers and Springtown (Benton County) by the Rogers Southwestern Railroad. The change in the corporate name reflected an intention to build to Siloam Springs (Benton County), as a connection to the Kansas City Southern Railway, and Pryor Creek, Oklahoma, as a connection to the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway. The A&OW also announced plans for a thirty-mile extension from Rogers to the health resort of Eureka Springs (Carroll County). The A&OW, assuming it had been built as planned, would have been 125 miles long. Rogers banker William R. Felker was the principal financial backer of the Rogers Southwestern and successor A&OW. The A&OW, as of July 1909, owned four engines and thirty freight cars. The railroad carried closed-pouch mail between Rogers and Siloam Springs and, at its peak, offered twice-daily roundtrip service. In addition to steam-hauled passenger trains, the railroad operated a nine-person motor car, No.13, which was plagued with troubles. The A&OW constructed a four-stall roundhouse in Rogers and wooden-frame depots at Elm Springs (Washington and Benton counties), Tontitown, Felker (Benton County), and Siloam Springs that have not survived. The concrete underpass built beneath the Frisco in northern Lowell is readily visible on the eastern side of U.S. Highway 71B. A cut is visible from Highway 59 in the area of Siloam Springs. The Kansas City and Memphis Railway Company absorbed the A&OW in 1911.
Document, 8.5" x 11"
Bentonville, Benton County (Ark.)
E.D. Cook and J.W, Langford promissory note, SMC.041.004
Arkansas State Archives
Arkansas State Archives
E.D. Cook and J.W. Langford promissory note, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at email@example.com.