Creator

Date Original

1895

Description

This collection contains one invitation to Hiram and Lydia College's Alumnae Association Banquet on June 11, 1895.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1875 Isom L. Burrow moved to Altus and opened a school there which was called “Central Collegiate Institute.” Although it was a privately owned school, it was recognized and promoted by the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1882 the conferences adopted it as a training school and in 1884 purchased it .In 1886 Rev. A.C. Miller was elected president and succeeded in moving the college to Conway in 1890 at which time it was renamed “Hendrix College.” The old property at Altus was turned over to Professor Burrow, who opened it as a private college under the name “Hiram and Lydia College,” after his parents. It survived until about 1906 when it was purchased by the town of Altus.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Arkansas

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.028.024

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Hiram and Lydia College Alumni-nae Association banquet invitation, SMC.028.024

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Hiram and Lydia College Alumni-nae Association banquet invitation, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS