Creator

Date Original

1885

Description

This collection contains a list of staff and students in 1885 at the Arkansas School for the Blind.

Biographical/Historical Note

Arkansas School for the Blind was founded in 1859 as the Institute for the Education of the Blind by the Reverend Haucke, a blind Baptist minister. Otis Patten was the school’s first official superintendent. The campus was originally located in Arkadelphia (Clark County) but was moved to Little Rock in 1868, which made the school more accessible to students across the state. The first Little Rock campus was located at 1800 Center Street. The institute was renamed the Arkansas School for the Blind in 1877. On October 9, 1939, the ASB campus was relocated to 2600 West Markham Street, where it remains today.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Little Rock, Pulaski County (Ark.); Arkansas

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.062.020

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Arkansas School for the Blind list of staff and students, SMC.062.020

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Arkansas School for the Blind list of staff and students, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS