Creator

Date Original

circa 1945

Description

Photograph of Washington High School students playing tennis in the WPA gym

Biographical/Historical Note

During the 1940s the Washington School was housed in the former Hempstead County Courthouse, which was built in 1874. The county seat had relocated from Washington to Hope in 1939. The gymnasium, located behind the school, was built in 1940 with assistance from the Works Progress Administration (WPA).

Physical Description

Photograph, 2.5" X 2.5"

Subjects

Gymnasiums; Schools; Tennis players; Work Progress Administration

Contributor

Washington High School

Geographical Area

Washington, Hempstead County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

MSF.0014, Scrapbook 2, Page 4

Resource Type

Image

Collection

Clara Dudney collection, MSF.0014

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives

Recommended Citation

Washington High School WPA gym, Clara Dudney Collection, Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives, Washington, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Preview

image preview

Files

Download

Download Full Text (461 KB)

Washington High School WPA gym

Share

COinS