Creator

Description

This is a color postcard depicting St. Edwards Mercy Hospital in Fort Smith, Arkansas, as it appeared in 1914. The postcard was never sent.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1853, the first Sisters of Mercy arrived in Fort Smith, Arkansas, by steamboat, to open schools and care for the sick. The 30-bed St. Edward Infirmary was established by 1905, named after the Bishop Edward Fitzgerald of Little Rock, who gave the Sisters permission to open the infirmary. An expanding need for hospital space led to the opening of a new 100-bed facility on Rogers Avenue, named St. Edward Mercy Hospital, in 1923. In 2012, St. Edward Mercy Hospital was renamed Mercy Hospital Fort Smith.

Transcription

St. Edwards Mercy Hospital, Fort Smith, Ark. - 14

Physical Description

Color postcard, 5.5" x 3.5"

Keywords

Postcards; Hospitals

Geographical Area

Fort Smith, Sebastian County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

ASA postcard collection, G5236.16.1

Resource Type

Image

Collection

ASA postcard collection

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

St. Edwards Mercy Hospital, ASA postcard collection, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Preview

image preview

Files

Download

Download Full Text (1.4 MB)

St. Edwards Mercy Hospital

Share

COinS