Creator

Date Original

1936

Description

Black and white printed highway and transportation map of Polk County, Arkansas. The legend is in the upper right corner. The map shows roads and highways, highway bridges, railroads and railroad stations, towns and boundaries, cemeteries, farm units and dwellings, businesses, hotels, churches, schools, factories, sawmills, camps and lodges. Revisions were made to the map in 1939.

Biographical/Historical Note

Located in the southwest corner of the state, Polk County was established in 1844. Its parent county is Sevier County, and the county seat is Mena.

The Arkansas State Highway Commission was created in 1913 by Act 302 during the 39th Arkansas General Assembly. Originally consisting of three members appointed by the Governor, its earliest mission was to supervise and maintain road construction while coordinating with counties and communities. Throughout its first few decades of existence, the Commission faced difficulties with funding, support and controversy. In the 1940's, the Commission's problems began to even out with the passing of Acts 42 and 239, Amendment 42 and the election of Governor Sid McMath. Membership was increased to 12 members and Commission oversight increased.

Physical Description

Map, 21.75" x 18.25"

Contributor

United State Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Public Roads

Geographical Area

Polk County, Arkansas

Language

English

Identifier

Map 1282

Resource Type

Map

Collection

Historic Maps Collection

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

General Highway and Transportation Map of Polk County, Arkansas, Map1282, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6901 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Preview

image preview

Share

COinS