Download Full Text (67.4 MB)

Date Original

1924 December 19-1925 June 20


Ledger labeled "No. 1" with column headings: [date, description], Tenants, "Gen Ledger," Cash, "Mdse," Plant, Seed, cotton, "F.N. Bank," "Far Bank."

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1909, internationally known agricultural expert and future Illinois Governor Frank Orren Lowden purchased a plantation of 21,000 acres at South Bend in Lincoln County, Arkansas, 7 miles northeast of Gould. This enterprise, actually a number of separate "farms", stretched for more than 20 miles along the Arkansas River in Lincoln and Desha counties. Lowden considered Arkansas agricultural lands to be among the most fertile in the world. His main farm at South Bend included a large Greek revival plantation house of 20 rooms, built before 1857. Although Lowden made yearly visits to Arkansas, he employed a number of different men to oversee plantation operations in his absence. Among them was Phillip Boggs of Gould who was financial agent and bookkeeper at South Bend from 1921 to 1936.

The plantation, which grew cotton exclusively, was divided into a number of separate farms: Clay Place, Lake Place, Langdon, Massey, as well as South Bend. These locations were developed into "model farms with Delco electric lights and deep well water system."

Physical Description

Ledger, 15.75" x 12.75"


Plantations; Cotton; Arkansas Delta (Ark.); Account books

Geographical Area

Lincoln County (Ark.)




MS.000248, Ledger 04 (Box 2, Item 1)

Resource Type



Lowden Plantation records, MS.000248

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Lowden Plantation ledger, 1924 December 19-1925 June 20, Lowden Plantation records, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.


Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at


image preview
Lowden Plantation ledger, 1924 December 19-1925 June 20