Creator

Date Original

1899-1913

Description

The records in this collection consist chiefly of account and cash books for the Bertig brother’s mercantile business and department store, 1899-1913.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1881, Adolph, Sol, and Al Bertig came to Greene County, Arkansas, from their native Austria. Soon after their arrival they opened a small mercantile business in Paragould, the county seat. In 1909 they completed and opened their first department store, which promptly burned. They quickly rebuilt the store, located in downtown Paragould. The Bertig brothers were community leaders who helped finance the reopening of the Paragould Southeastern Railway in 1888. They were instrumental in building the Paragould Opera House in 1893 and built and operated the Capitol Theatre in 1925.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Greene County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

MG.00036

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Bertig brothers records, MG.00036

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Bertig brothers records, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS