Creator

Date Original

1964 April 1

Description

This collection contains a letter from Kenneth Johnson, University of Arkansas Director of information Services, to Robert Goff, Oconto, Wisconsin, regarding the origin and history of the name of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Biographical/Historical Note

The first University of Arkansas football team was formed in 1894 and coached by John Futrall. Before the 1909 season, the teams were called the Arkansas Cardinals, and a bird was the school's mascot. The name and mascot changed following the 1909 season, when Arkansas defeated LSU 7-0, and coach Hugo Bezdek told a group of reporters that his team played like a "wild band of Razorback hogs." The name stuck and the student body voted to change the mascot.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Arkansas

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.108.005

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Arkansas Razorback origin letter, SMC.108.005

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Arkansas Razorback origin letter, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS