Creator

Date Original

1884-1887

Description

This collection contains the first and third annual catalogs for Rogers Academy in Rogers, Arkansas, from 1884-1887. It also contains a financial statement and a commencement program.

Biographical/Historical Note

Rogers Academy was organized by the American Home Missionary Society (AHMS) of the Congregational Church and opened on November 3, 1884. It was opened in order to provide secondary education to the new town of Rogers, Arkansas, which was founded in 1881. In its beginning, it was focused on secondary and normal school (teacher's training) and trained many of the early educators who taught in the Rogers public schools. It began enrolling younger students by 1889. The Congregational Church and Presbyterian churches of Rogers united in 1911 into a Presbyterian congregation, and control of the academy passed to the Presbyterian Synod of Arkansas. In November of 1911, a new high school was opened by the Rogers Public Schools. Enrollment began to decline at Rogers Academy, and debts began to rise. The board closed the school and sold the property to Rogers Public Schools in March of 1914. The Rogers school district used the buildings until 1936 when they were torn down, and a new elementary school was built.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Rogers, Benton County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.175.006

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Rogers Academy (Rogers, Ark.) collection, SMC.175.006

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Rogers Academy (Rogers, Ark.) collection, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS