Creator

Date Original

1713-2002

Description

This collection contains family, school, and church histories, geographical research, and correspondence. The research resulted in the publication of “A Williamson Saga: Samuel and John,” compiled by Donald K. Campbell (2002). In the book, Campbell explores the forgotten ties between the white and black Williamson families.

Biographical/Historical Note

Samuel Williamson (June 12, 1795-March 12, 1882) was born in York District, South Carolina, the son of Samuel and Ann Starr Williamson. His father served in the Revolutionary War and fought at the Battle of Huck's Defeat, Brattonsville, South Carolina. In 1838, Williamson became a professor at Davidson College, a Presbyterian institution located in Davidson, North Carolina. He later served as president of the college before retiring in 1854. In 1856, he moved to Arkansas to become the first pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Washington, Hempstead County, migrating to the southwest part of the state with his family and slaves. One former slave, John Williamson, born about 1846, founded Haygood Academy in Washington, Arkansas, in 1883 under the auspices of the Colored Methodist Episcopal (C.M.E.) Church.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Arkansas; North Carolina; South Carolina; Mississippi

Language

English

Identifier

MS.000535

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Williamson family history collection, MS.000535

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Williamson family history collection, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS