Creator

Date Original

1874

Description

This collection contains an envelope fragment from the Secretary, at Judson University to Warren N. Briggs; Bears advertisement for "Arkansas College Colony, Judsonia, White County, Arkansas."

Biographical/Historical Note

Judson University was a short-lived institution of higher education in Prospect Bluff—present-day Judsonia (White County). The institution stimulated the migration of Northern families to the area, thereby significantly increasing the population and refining the social atmosphere of this typical, mid-nineteenth-century river town. Judson University began as the dream of Professor Martin R. Forey of Chicago, Illinois. Forey was a professor at Chicago University. Judson University had an ambitious curriculum and an experienced staff but very little money. At the height of its operations, more than 100 scholars were at the university being instructed in biology, geology, English, math, foreign languages, theology, telegraphy, painting, and elocution by a faculty of five. Money was soon again in short supply, as no statewide funding from the Southern Baptist churches could be obtained, and the 1883 term proved to be the last for Judson University, the land having been foreclosed. The school opened briefly again in 1888 but did not last a single term. On November 28, 1901, the board of trustees voted to transfer the last remaining asset of the university, Evergreen Cemetery, to the cemetery board. What remains of the school, the steeple bell, is in use at Judsonia’s First Baptist Church.

Scope and Contents

This collection contains an envelope fragment from the Secretary, at Judson University to Warren N. Briggs; Bears advertisement for "Arkansas College Colony, Judsonia, White County, Arkansas."

Geographical Area

Judsonia, White County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.041.003

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Arkansas College Colony envelope, SMC.041.003

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Arkansas College Colony envelope, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Share

COinS