Date Original



This collection consists of one letter from Heyward Watkins, Summerville, South Carolina, to John Hugh Reynolds, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas, dated January 19, 1905; one letter from Heyward Watkins to John Hugh Reynolds, dated September 16, 1906; one inscription of tomb of Isaac Watkins from Mount Holly Cemetery, Little Rock, Arkansas, date unknown; one death notice of Mrs. Maria Stevenson, Little Rock, Arkansas, taken from Scrapbook of Mrs. William Royston, date unknown; one list of portraits and other historic valuables in Little Rock Homes, date unknown.

Biographical/Historical Note

John Hugh Reynolds (1869-1954) was an author, president of Hendrix College (1913-1945), and founder of the Arkansas History Commission (now the Arkansas State Archives). Isaac Watkins (1777-1827) is considered one of the founders of Little Rock and Mount Holly Cemetery (nicknamed Westminster Abbey of Arkansas). Mount Holly Cemetery is known for the great number of significant Arkansas figures buried there, including governors, state Supreme Court justices, senators, generals, and mayors. Maria Toncray Watkins Stevenson was an early pioneer who arrived in Little Rock in March 1821. Isaac and Maria Watkins were the parents of George Claiborne Watkins, who was a prominent attorney in nineteenth-century Arkansas and who also served briefly as chief justice of the Arkansas Supreme Court.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Fayetteville, Washington County (Ark.); Little Rock, Pulaski County (Ark.); South Carolina





Resource Type



Watkins family papers, SMC.087.033


Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Watkins family papers, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.


Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at


United States History