Creator

Date Original

1875

Description

This collection contains a circular from Arkansas College Colony, Judsonia, Arkansas that also has a letter written on the back from P.L. Barker to Dr. Amos Walker dated May 8, 1875.

Biographical/Historical Note

Judson University was the dream of Professor Martin R. Forey of Chicago Illinois. Forey travelled to Arkansas in 1869 hoping to find a Baptist college; however, he met hostility and noninterest. Returning north, Forey promoted his dream in the Midwest and recruited a colony of 40 settlers to settle in Prospect Bluff, Arkansas, on the Little Red River. Forey purchased five acres and established his university, Judson University, named after Adonirum Judson the first American foreign missionary. Judson University boasted an ambitious curriculum and a professional staff. Forey purchased another 500 acres to generate income for the university. He hoped to sell the land and entice northerners to settle in Arkansas. In 1874, Prospect Bluff joined with a neighboring town, Judsonia and the new town was now known as Judsonia. Judson University was flourishing by 1875 and Forey travelled frequently trying to drum up support and new students. By 1883 the university had suffered a decline and closed at the end of the 1883 term.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Judsonia, White County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.059.002

Resource Type

Text

Collection

Arkansas College Colony circular, SMC.059.002

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Arkansas College Colony circular, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS