Creator

Date Original

1858

Description

This collection contains an address given on June 25, 1858 by Professor William D. Leiper. Administrative Information Publication Information

Biographical/Historical Note

William D. Leiper (1825-1917) born in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, in 1825, he was the son of Hugh Leiper and Esther Harper Leiper. He graduated at Jefferson College in 1851 and also studied law and theology as a resident graduate for two years. Leiper accepted a position in Memphis, Tennessee as principal of an academy for two years. In 1857 Leiper settled in Tulip, Dallas County, Arkansas where he was headmaster of the Arkansas Military Institute. Leiper resigned in 1860 to run a mercantile. In 1861 he enrolled in the Third Arkansas Infantry, Confederate States Army. After the war he returned to Tulip and the mercantile business for two years before he returned to teaching. Mr. Leiper was married in December, 1865, to Priscilla Macon, a native of Tennessee. In 1877 Leiper moved to Malvern. Leiper became the publisher of the Malvern Meteor Journal in 1883. He also served as superintendent of the Malvern schools for four years and then became county superintendent of Hot Spring County until his death in 1917.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Tulip, Dallas County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.056.001

Resource Type

Text

Collection

William D. Leiper address, SMC.056.001

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

William D. Leiper address, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS