Creator

Date Original

1939

Description

This collection contains correspondence related to the War Time Capitol Memorial Commission.

Biographical/Historical Note

The War Time Capitol Memorial Commission was established by Act 274 in 1929, to maintain the Hempstead County Courthouse, which served as the Arkansas State Capitol during the Civil War following the Union forces gaining control of Little Rock. The United Daughters of the Confederacy (U.D.C.) were responsible for the restoration as of 1929. Governors failed to appoint members to the commission until 1939 when Governor Carl E. Bailey appointed commissioners to maintain the building.The members included Mrs. W.H. McCain of Cotton Plant, Mrs. M.L. Gibbs of El Dorado, Dallas T.Herndon of Little Rock, Mrs. Charles S. Lothrop of Hope, Mrs. J.A. Henry of Hope, and W.H. Etter, Jr., of Washington. Mrs. W.H. McCain and Mrs. M.L. Gibbs were ex-officio members of the commission and served as president and secretary of the U.D.C., respectively.

Physical Description

Document, 8.5" x 11"

Geographical Area

Arkansas

Language

English

Identifier

SMC.019.006

Resource Type

Text

Collection

War Time Capitol Memorial Commission correspondence, SMC.019.006

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

War Time Capitol Memorial Commission correspondence, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock,Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Share

COinS