Black and white photograph of the old Powhatan swing bridge over the Black River. The Powhatan courthouse is in the upper left corner, and the Black River ferry is on the right side at roughly midpoint. Ferries were the primary means of crossing the Black River for decades before the first bridge was built across the river. The swing bridge replaced the ferry as the primary means of crossing the river. The last ferry to close was the Black River ferry near Powhatan in 1935. The old swing bridge was dismantled in 1957 and was soon after replaced by a metal trestle bridge.
Photograph, 10" x 7"
Landscape photographs; Bridges; Swing bridges; Photography
Powhatan, Lawrence County (Ark.)
MSNE.0035, Box 11
Powhatan Historic State Park collection, MSNE.0035
Arkansas State Archives
Northeast Arkansas Regional Archives
Powhatan swinging bridge, Powhatan Historic State Park collection, Northeast Arkansas Regional Archives, Powhatan, Arkansas.
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at email@example.com.
United States History
Download Full Text (476 KB)