This is a family Bible that was owned by Surrey Edgar Gilliam of El Dorado, Arkansas, and Rebeccah Marie LaGrone of Hope, Arkansas, who were united in marriage in Hope on December 22, 1925. Contained within the Bible are family record pages of births, marriages, deaths, and family history. The page I picked is titled "The Gilliam Ancestry" which traces the Gilliam Family history back to Allen Gilliam in Virginia. The Gilliam family later lived in Paraclifta, Sevier County (Ark.)
The Gilliam Ancestry
(Taken in principal part from the Pettus family Bible.)
The Gilliam Family in Arkansas traces its origin back to Allen Gilliam,
who was born on March 6th, 1770 and lived in or near Richmond, Virginia. He died
May 17th, 1830. He was married July 6th, 1794 to Martha Cox Gilliam (nee Barnes,
who was born July 18th, 1773 and died October 3rd, 1844. To this marriage
was born the following issue:
1. Polly Goode Gilliam, who was born June 4th, 1795 and who was
married to William Marshall on June 1st, 1818.
2. Francis Barnes Gilliam, who was born June 4th, 1795 (a twin to Polly Goode
Gilliam), and who was married to Mary E. Sampson on Dec. 6th, 1837.
3. James Henry Gilliam, who was born Jan. 9th, 1797, and who was married
April 11th, 1826 to Mary E. Bishop.
4. Sally Wilkerson Gilliam, who was born May 15th, 1799, and who was married
Feb. 10th, 1820 to Martin Pettus.
5. Osborne Gilliam, who was born March 5th, 1802, and who was married
Feb. 14th, 1821, to Cornelius Barnes.
6. Elizabeth Harrison Gilliam, who was born December 16th, 1810, and who was married
October 20th, 1825 to John O. Pettus.
7. Martha Allen Gilliam, who was born March 18th, 1814, who died in infancy.
8. Martha Allen Gilliam, who was born May 7th, 1816, and who was married
Oct 29th, 1835 to John P. Barnes.
9. William T. Gilliam, birth not known, who was married
on August 19th, 1832 to Sophie P. Ransom.
10. Robert Cornelius Gilliam, who was born October 13th, 1819, who
was married November 22nd, 1849 to Francis I. Russey. Robert Cornelius Gilliam
was killed in battle of Marks' Mill, Arkansas, while serving as First
Lieutenant in the Confederate Army. To his marriage with Francis I. Norwood
were born the following issue:
1. Virginia J. Gilliam, who was born Dec. 18th, 1853, and who married William
Edwards on and who died Aug 30th, 1921.
2. Lucy Cornelius Gilliam, who was born Jan. 15th, 1857 and who married Thaddeus
McCown Mch. 8, 1876 and who died May 1st, 1933
3. Robert Allen Gilliam, who was born March 22, 1862, and who married
Annie Locke Badgett, May 4th, 1887 and who died July 12th, 1935 at Lockesburg,
Sevier County, Arkansas. Annie Locke Gilliam died Aug 2nd 1947 at Lockesburg,
Robert Cornelius Gilliam, together [sic] James Henry Gilliam and Francis Barnes Gilliam
all moved from Virginia to Southwest Arkansas sometime before the Civil War. Robert Cornelius
Gilliam settled at Paraclifta, the first county seat of Sevier County, where he had a large plantation on
the Cossatot River. He was buried in a Soldier's Grave at Marks Mill, exact location now unknown.
Document, 9.5" x 12"
Bibles; Family; Families; History; Documents
El Dorado, Union County (Ark.); Hope, Hempstead County (Ark.); Paraclifta, Sevier County (Ark.)
Gilliam Family Bible, MSSA.0039B
Arkansas State Archives
Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives
The Gilliam Ancestry from the Gilliam Bible, Gilliam Family Bible, Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives, Washington, Arkansas.
United States History
Download Full Text (556 KB)