Creator

Date Original

1940-1945

Description

Round tin ID badge with color-coded red border for the type of personnel and a B/W mug shot of the employee in front of a height chart with the number 56. "Southwestern Proving Ground" is on the metal border framing the mug shot. A vinyl or clear plastic cover protects the photo. The back has a pin device for attaching the badge to clothing. The red border may indicate clerical personnel.

Physical Description

Badge, 2" diameter

Subjects

Identification photographs; Women; War; War work; Ordnance industry

Contributor

Southwestern Proving Ground

Geographical Area

Hempstead County (Ark.)

Language

English

Resource Type

Physical Object

Collection

Parker Westbrook collection, Accession 8385

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives

Recommended Citation

Southwestern Proving Ground ID badge, Parker Westbrook collection, Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives, Washington, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

United States History

Comments

This item is an artifact of the Southwestern Proving Ground. Its construction and operation ended the Depression in the region and permanently changed the landscape. The SPG tested shells, ordnance and bombs starting in early 1942. Land acquisition and construction by the W. E. Callahan Construction Company of Omaha, NE, had started in 1940 with 4,000 workers. Workers were transported into the SPG from the surrounding towns for their jobs by a fleet of buses. The population of nearby Hope swelled to over 12,000 during this period. The SPG closed at the end of WWII. - Peggy Lloyd

Preview

image preview

Files

Download

Download Full Text (538 KB)

Southwestern Proving Ground ID badge

Share

COinS