Photograph of four buildings on the campus of the Third District Agricultural School in Magnolia, Arkansas, including the dining hall, boys' and girls' dormitories, and Old Main.
Upon signing Act 100 on April 1, 1909, Arkansas Governor George W. Donaghey created the Third District Agricultural School of Magnolia, Arkansas, as well as three other agricultural school districts, each located in Jonesboro, Monticello, and Russellville. The Third District Agricultural School's first term began in January of 1911. In 1925, its name changed to Agricultural and Mechanical College, Third District. Act Eleven of January 24, 1951 changed the school's name to Southern State College, and in 1976, the institution's name was officially changed to Southern Arkansas University in accordance with Act 343 of the Arkansas General Assembly of 1975.
black and white negative, 3.5" x 4.25"
School attendance; Schools; Agriculture; Agricultural facilities; Education; Educational facilities; Eating & drinking facilities; Dormitories
Robert B. Walz
Magnolia, Columbia County. (Ark.)
Robert B. Walz collection, Item 1329
Robert B. Walz collection
Arkansas State Archives
Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives
Third District Agricultural School, Robert B. Walz collection, Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives, Washington, Arkansas.
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at email@example.com.
Education | United States History
Download Full Text (552 KB)