Creator

Date Original

circa 1930s-1940s

Description

This is a close-up view of one of the arched gates leading into St. John's Seminary in Little Rock.

Biographical/Historical Note

St. John's Seminary opened in 1911 by Bishop John Baptist Morris, and was located on Gaines St. in Little Rock, as a wing of the Little Rock College for Boys. In its fifty-six-year run, it produced hundreds of pastors, teachers, chaplains, and priests. The seminary was relocated to N. Tyler St. in 1916, but was eventually closed in 1967 due to financial constraints, high attrition rates, and a shortage of trained faculty. Today, the campus is home of the St. John Catholic Center, which houses the administrative offices of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Little Rock.

Physical Description

Black and white photograph, 10" x 8"

Subjects

Education; Schools; Religious education; Arches

Geographical Area

Little Rock, Pulaski County. (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

PHC00004737

Resource Type

Image

Collection

PHC photo file

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Arched gate leading to St. John's Seminary in Little Rock, 1930s-40s, PHC photo file, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

Education | United States History

Preview

image preview

Files

Download

Download Full Text (503 KB)

Arched gate leading to St. John's Seminary in Little Rock, 1930s-40s

Share

COinS