Creator

Date Original

1951

Description

Postcard sent to Jettie Mae Turner on September 8, 1951, depicting a group of St. Peter's Catholic School cheerleaders. Pictured are Christine Hammons, Gladys T. Turner, Marinda Henderson, Jettie Mae Turner, and Bessie Marie Davis.

Biographical/Historical Note

St.Peter's was the first school for African American children to be established in Arkansas. It was founded in 1889 by St. Joseph Church Pastor Monsignor John Michael "J.M."Lucey as the Colored Industrial Institute, before the name was changed to St. Peter's in 1897. The elementary school division became racially integrated in 1963, and the school was closed in 1975, to be reopened as an elementary school operated by the School Sisters of Notre Dame in 1985. The school closed permanently in 2012.

Physical Description

Black and white postcard, 5.5" x 3.5"

Subjects

Catholicism; Education; Educational organizations; Elementary school teaching; Schools; Segregation; Cheerleading

Geographical Area

Pine Bluff, Jefferson County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

PHC00002115

Resource Type

Image

Collection

PHC photo file

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

St. Peter's Catholic School cheerleaders, 1951, PHC photo file, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Disciplines

Education | United States History

Preview

image preview

Files

Download

Download Full Text (896 KB)

St. Peter's Catholic School cheerleaders, 1951

Share

COinS