Creator

Description

This is a postcard with the Monastery of the Bendictine Brothers in Subiaco, Arkansas on the front. The image is of the building before the fire in 1927.

Biographical/Historical Note

The monastery, otherwise know as Subiaco Abbey and Acedemy, started as St. Benedict's Colony in 1887. In 1902, the Abbey started a boys high school. The Abbey has suffered two fires and been rebuilt each time. Presently, it is still a high school and residence for monks.

Transcription

Souvenir Post Card Co. N.Y. Monastery of the Benedictine Brothers, Largest Building in Arkansas, Subiaco, Ark

Physical Description

Black and white postcard, 5.5" x 3.5"

Keywords

Monasteries; Religious dwellings; Postcards

Geographical Area

Subiaco, Logan County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

ASA postcard collection, G1535

Resource Type

Image

Collection

ASA postcard collection

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Monastery in Subiaco, Arkansas, ASA postcard collection, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Preview

image preview

Files

Download

Download Full Text (2.1 MB)

Monastery in Subiaco, Arkansas

Share

COinS