Creator

Description

This is a black and white postcard with an image of Hendrix College on the front. It was never mailed.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1876, Central Institute, which was to become Hendrix College, was established in Altus, Arkansas, by the Rev. Isham L. Burrow. Burrow was serving as a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church South, now a part of the United Methodist Church, at the time. The school became Central Collegiate Institute in 1881 with the addition of secondary and collegiate departments. The institute was purchased in 1884 by conferences of the Southern Methodist Church in Arkansas and was renamed Hendrix College in honor of Bishop Eugene R. Hendrix in 1889. The following year the college moved to Conway, Arkansas. By the mid-1930s Hendrix had firmly established its role as a small, coeducational, undergraduate, residential, liberal arts, church-related institution. Hendrix has been repeatedly ranked in the top tier of national liberal arts colleges.

Physical Description

Black and white postcard, 5.5" x 3.5"

Keywords

Universities and colleges; Postcards

Geographical Area

Conway, Faulkner County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

ASA postcard collection, G1350.2

Resource Type

Image

Collection

ASA postcard collection

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Hendrix College, ASA postcard collection, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Preview

image preview

Files

Download

Download Full Text (1.9 MB)

Hendrix College

Share

COinS