Creator

Description

This black and white postcard depicts a view of East Hale Avenue in Osceola, Mississippi County, Arkansas, in the early 1900s.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1830, William Bard Edrington and John Price Edrington bartered with Indians and took possession of a small group of huts along the Mississippi River, and by 1833, settlers had built log structures on the riverbank, which became a landing for travelers moving up and down the river. The settlement was established as Plum Point in 1837, and in 1853, with 250 residents and a half dozen businesses, it was incorporated as Osceola.
It was the original county seat of Mississippi County and remains one of two county seats, after Blytheville was named a dual county seat in 1901. Osceola is famous for its role in the development of blues music, and many famous blues musicians either came from Osceola or performed there. The town features a 1912 Neo-Classical courthouse, bordered by the Hale Avenue Historic District and other structures on the National Historic Register of Historic Places.

Transcription

East Hale Avenue, Osceola, Ark.

Physical Description

Black and white postcard, 5.5" x 3.5"

Keywords

Postcards; Streets

Geographical Area

Oseola, Mississippi County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

ASA postcard collection, G5034.02.1

Resource Type

Image

Collection

ASA postcard collection

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

East Hale Avenue, Osceola, Arkansas, ASA postcard collection, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Preview

image preview

Files

Download

Download Full Text (1.9 MB)

East Hale Avenue, Osceola, Arkansas

Share

COinS