Creator

Description

A street-view postcard in black and white of the B'nai Israel temple, published by the Souvenir Postcard Company of New York.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1897, the congregation of B'nai Israel built a cream-colored, pressed-bricked building with a Byzantine-inspired dome capping a Romanesque tower with tall Gothic windows and spires, on Broadway and Capitol Streets in Little Rock, Arkansas. The interior, showing elements of Grecian and Roman theater architecture, was designed to seat up to 700 individuals. This temple was dedicated by Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise on May 9, 1897.

Physical Description

Postcard, 3.5" x 5.5"

Subjects

Synagogues; Temples; Judaism; Religion; Postcards

Geographical Area

Little Rock, Pulaski County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

General photo file, G6147.1

Resource Type

Image

Collection

General photo file

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Temple B'nai Israel, General photo file, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6901 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Preview

image preview

Files

Download

Download Full Text (1.0 MB)

Temple B'nai Israel

Share

COinS