Creator

Date Original

early 1900s

Description

Photo of the three-story building that housed the Little Rock Concordia Jewish Club, taken sometime before 1924.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Little Rock Concordia Club is said to have been the first social club to form in the city; some have argued it was the first in the state. The original name for the organization was the 'Little Rock Club.' It was founded in 1864 by the elite of Jewish society in Arkansas. During the Brooks-Baxter conflict, the building was used as a temporary hospital for the wounded. Ulysses S. Grant, the former president, visited Little Rock in 1880 during which the community conducted a gala ball in his honor at the Concordia Club. The Concordia Club building on Eighth and Scott Street in Little Rock, Arkansas, was dedicated on June 8, 1903 by Morris M. Cohn. The building was later sold to the Boys' Club in 1924 for $42,500.

Physical Description

Black and white photo, 5.5" x 4.25"

Subjects

Jewish Community

Geographical Area

Little Rock, Pulaski County (Ark.)

Language

English

Identifier

General photo file, G2594.18

Resource Type

Image

Collection

General photo file

Publisher

Arkansas State Archives

Contributing Entity

Arkansas State Archives

Recommended Citation

Concordia (Jewish) Club, General photo file, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.

Rights

Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6901 or email at state.archives@arkansas.gov.

Preview

image preview

Files

Download

Download Full Text (483 KB)

Concordia (Jewish) Club

Share

COinS